The Dogs & Cats
100% of the animals we rescue come from open-admission shelters with high euthanasia rates for older animals. Our mission is to find a new home for every adoptable animal that comes through our door, to educate the public on the benefits of adopting older pets, and to decrease the euthanasia rate for older dogs and cats in Illinois.
Each dog or cat that we rescue receives the best veterinary care, and we do not turn away animals that need a little extra medical attention. All of our pets are vaccinated, tested for infectious diseases, microchipped, spayed/neutered, receive a geriatric screening, and most receive a dental. We also provide other treatments to enhance any senior pet’s adoptability- we have lumps removed, even if they are benign. We treat allergies, heartworm, thyroid ailments, provide prescription food. We do whatever it takes to help senior pets find their forever homes.
And if their medical needs prove to be too daunting to our adoption program, they are not euthanized at Young at Heart. They find their happily ever after in one of our licensed Sanctuary Homes, where they are loved and cared for like one of the family while we provide all their medical care.
Pet Adoption Fees & Requirements
- Be 21 years of age.
- Have landlord's permission to have a pet (we will check!)
- Have taken good care of any current or previous pets and have taken them in regularly for check-ups (we'll speak with your vet!)
- Have an ID with current address
- Have an adoption application approved by a Young at Heart staff member
- If you are out of state, you must have had pets prior to adopting from Young at Heart and have a veterinary reference.
Dog Adoption Fee: $175
Cat Adoption Fee: $75