Young at Heart is a nonprofit organization based in Woodstock, IL. Young at Heart's mission is to provide senior dogs and cats with a safe haven to ensure they live with comfort, compassion, and companionship in their golden years. We operate a cageless adoption center for senior dogs and cats, a permanent resident sanctuary program for hospice senior pets, and a foster home program. We are an organization that embraces a positive work environment, positive reinforcement training with our animals, and a positive attitude toward rescuing and rehoming senior dogs and cats in our community. In addition to our wonderful staff, Young at Heart has a network of over 150 volunteers who cheerfully contribute to every area of Young at Heart's work.
As a team member of Young at Heart, you’ll enjoy engaging and rewarding work, and a friendly, fun-loving atmosphere. Our commitment to giving homeless senior pets the opportunity to enjoy their golden years guides us as a team in everything we do.
Part-time Animal Care Team - Dinner/Bedtime Shift
With a beloved Animal Care Team member moving out of state, Young at Heart will have an opening for our Dinner/Bedtime shift (4pm - 9pm) beginning in July.
Just like we aren’t your average animal rescue, we strive to be anything but the average workplace. We’re looking for team members who not only love animals but respect them and are willing to work hard to make sure they have the best life while they are in our care. Our animals' comfort and safety are our top priority here, and it must be yours, too. While this job is all about being with animals, it's also all about cleaning up after them. If you are 18 or older, willing to clean well and work hard, can follow instructions and pay attention to detail, have animal care experience, believe in kindness and positive reinforcement, and have a big heart, this might be the place for you!
Please read the job description in its entirety before applying. Applications will be accepted ONLINE ONLY through June 30th, 2021 via email. Please do not call or stop by to check on your application or it will be disqualified.
We have two Animal Care Team Dinner/Bedtime shifts available beginning in July:
Shift #1: Two weeknights PLUS Friday and Sunday from 4pm - 9pm. Can add Sunday morning to your shift if you need more hours.
Shift #2: Two weeknights PLUS Friday and Saturday 4pm - 9pm. Can add Sunday morning to your shift if you need more hours.
Holidays are required.
Position Title: Animal Care Team
Classification: Part-time, non-exempt position
Date: Starting July 2021
Salary: The starting salary for this position is $13.50 per hour.
Hours: 20-25 hours per week
Young at Heart is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Young at Heart is a nonprofit organization based in Woodstock, IL. We operate a cageless adoption center for senior dogs and cats, as well as a foster home program. We are an organization that embraces teamwork and a positive attitude toward rescuing and rehoming senior dogs and cats in our community.
We are seeking a part-time Animal Care Team person to join our team. The Animal Care Team provides safe and compassionate care for the senior dogs and cats at Young at Heart’s adoption center. The Animal Care Team is responsible for breakfast and dinner shifts, cleaning and maintaining the facility, and they work closely with the staff and volunteers in the care of the pets and our adopters.
The preferred applicant is skilled at working with both dogs and cats of varying temperaments and sizes, has a positive attitude, is dedicated to providing excellent customer service, and is highly committed to keeping our adoption center clean and organized. The ideal candidate is a team player who is adaptable, reliable, hard-working, people-oriented, and has excellent communication and organizational skills. The Animal Care Team utilizes the help of volunteers in all aspects of the job and therefore provides essential leadership, support, and communication to maximize the volunteers’ participation and enjoyment.
Animal Care - Must Love Senior Dogs and Cats!
• Prepare and provide food and water for the dogs and cats
• Prepare and administer medications to both dogs and cats as directed. Most medications are oral medications.
• Clean, disinfect, and maintain pet areas at the adoption center and follow established disease control protocols
• Monitor dogs and cats and report health or behavioral abnormalities
• Assist with fitting and labeling of collars and harnesses, and ensure that all dogs wear appropriate equipment at the appropriate times
• Ensure pets have adequate and clean bedding at all times
• Perform dog bathing and basic pet grooming when requested
• Transport pets to off-site veterinary appointments if needed
• Practice and encourage the humane treatment of dogs and cats
• Practice and encourage positive reinforcement training with all animals
• Be comfortable with cleaning up pet urine and feces
• Clean, de-clutter, and organize community spaces and storage areas
• Empty and remove garbage and recycling from all areas in the adoption center
• Regularly clean and sanitize restrooms
• Operate laundry and dish-washing equipment
• Wash and fold adoption center laundry. LOTS of laundry!
• Restock, order, and organize supplies
• Mop and vacuum floors daily
• Ensure all pet living quarters are clean, comfortable, and presentable at all times
• Demonstrate and promote a welcoming and supportive environment and proactively engage with adopters, volunteers, and donors to ensure they feel the Young at Heart love and have positive experiences
• Executive Director, Medical Director or Facility Supervisor
• Work is performed at Young at Heart’s adoption center which includes communal cageless areas where dogs and cats live and are cared for, isolation area with medical cages, office spaces, many stairs, and outdoor locations in all weather.
• Regular exposure to free-roaming office and adoption center dogs and cats.
• Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling dogs and cats of questionable temperament
• Regular bending, reaching, kneeling, stair climbing, sitting on the floor, crouching, and dog walking with occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds
• Wrangling of dogs both inside and outside as they want to go through doors or gates, and coordinating the opening and closing of doors and gates while dogs are pulling on leashes.
• Occasionally works at a computer station and operates electronic equipment
• Exposure to disinfectant solutions
• Exposure to zoonotic diseases
• Must pass a criminal background check
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent is required
- Previous experience working with animals in a vet office, boarding facility, doggy daycare, or animal shelter helpful but not required
Knowledge, Abilities, & Skills
- Highly motivated, communicative, polite, and with a professional manner
- Team player, able to work in a busy fast-paced work environment, embrace and foster change, problem solve, and regularly demonstrate flexibility
- Ability to calmly and efficiently handle situations ranging from routine to emergency
- General knowledge of dog and cat behavior and care
- Ability and skill to successfully work with various kinds of dogs and cats in a safe and responsible manner.
- Commitment to positive reinforcement handling and training methods.
- Comfortable and willing to accommodate dogs or cats in work and office spaces.
- Passion for helping senior pets and the people who love them
- Ability to multitask
To apply for the position:
Please send an email as a cover letter explaining why you would like to work at Young at Heart and why you think you would be a good fit for this position, which shift you are interested in and attach your resume with your work experience to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted through June 30th. Please do not call or stop by to check on your application or it will be disqualified. All applicants will receive a communication in regards to the status of the job by mid-July.