Due to the overwhelming generosity of our supporters or for the safety of our senior pets, we cannot currently accept any of the following items. For many of these items, we are simply out of storage space and would like other shelters to benefit from your generosity. Please check with your vet to see if another family may be able to use your senior pet's gently used ramps, stairs, wheelchairs, etc.
We currently CANNOT accept the following items:
WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING ANY BED LINENS, COMFORTERS, TOWELS, OR USED PET BEDS AT THIS TIME.
- For health and safety reasons, we cannot accept OPEN or EXPIRED bags/containers of pet food, treats, supplements, or USED toys/supplies.
- Unopened pet foods which are not listed in our wishlist will be donated to the local food pantry.
- Rawhide chews, pig ears, hooves, or bone treats
- Crunchy dog treats
- Sheets, blankets, comforters, or other household bedding
- Used towels
- Used pet beds
- Used leashes/collars
- Pet jackets/sweaters/coats
- Pet bowls
- Pet ramps
- Pet stairs
- Pet wheelchairs
- Pet strollers
- Help 'Em Up Harnesses or similar aids
- Car ramps/stairs
- Non-dog/cat items such as hamster/ferret/rabbit/fish supplies
- Airline/plastic travel crates
- Cat carriers/cat bags
- Metal dog cages/crates
- Outdoor dog kennels or dog houses
- Banks of cages or other used kennel/grooming equipment
- Used cat trees or scratchers
- Household furniture of any kind
Items Currently Needed for the Adoption Center:
Donations may be dropped off outside of the gate in the donation bin, which is on camera and checked multiple times a day. Donations cannot currently be dropped off inside the building. Donations can also be mailed to the adoption center: 4301 S IL Route 47, Woodstock IL 60098. Please also be sure to scroll down to check items we cannot currently accept.
- Gift Cards to the following: Menards, Home Depot, Pet Supplies Plus, Farm & Fleet, Chewy.com, Amazon.com, Office Depot, Staples.
- Plush fleece throw blankets
- All Purpose Copy/Printer Paper for Inkjet Printers
- Feliway diffuser refills
- Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent (liquid only) & Fabric Softener Sheets (must be septic friendly detergent)
- “Forever” Postage Stamps
- Lysol/Clorox Disinfectant Wipes
- Kitchen size garbage bags (drawstring/unscented please)
- Fromm Canned Chicken & Rice Dog Food (in order to prevent tummy issues in a cageless environment, we do not accept any other foods for our pets. All other unopened foods will be donated to the local food pantry.)
- Scoopable or lightweight scoopable litter
- Pill Pockets for cats or dogs by Greenies
- Paper towels
- Septic-safe toilet paper
- Fromm Dry Cat Food - Hasen Duckenpfeffer flavor (in order to prevent tummy issues in a cageless environment, we do not accept any other foods for our pets. All other unopened foods will be donated to the local food pantry.)
- Fancy Feast PATE Chicken & Beef selection (in order to prevent tummy issues in a cageless environment, we do not accept any other foods for our pets. All other unopened foods will be donated to the local food pantry.)
- Dishwasher tabs
- Odoban - Eucalyptus or Citrus scents only please
- Durable dog toys like Outward Hound Durables/Invicibles or other plush toys for "chewers"
- Cat Dancer toys
- Soft (not crunchy) grain free/limited ingredient dog treats
- Prescription Food - We ONLY accept RX gastro diets (any brand) for dogs or cats, Royal Canin SO for cats, and Royal Canin Renal Support for dogs and cats. We do not accept any other prescription food at this time.
If you would like to donate your pet's leftover medications, please check the list below to see if it is a medication we keep on hand. You can email us at email@example.com with other medications to see if they can be used. Medications must not be expired. Due to privacy and liability reasons, we cannot accept medications that were prescribed for a human. Below is a list of medications we always accept:
- NSAIDS of any kind (Rimadyl/Carprofen, Galliprant, Deramaxx, etc)
- Antibiotics of any kind(Clavamox, Baytril, etc)
- Unopened Dasaquin, Cosequin, and other chewable joint supplements
- Medications used for heart disease
- Veterinary prescribed heartworm prevention (Heartgard, Revolution, Sentinel, Interceptor)
- Frontline flea & tick prevention
- Unopened subcutaneous fluids
- Prescription Food - We ONLY accept RX gastro diets (any brand) for dogs or cats, Royal Canin SO for cats, and Royal Canin Renal Support for dogs and cats. We do not accept any other RX food at this time. Please check with your vet's office to see if you can donate your unused prescription food to another client that may be struggling to care for their special needs pet.
If you enjoy shopping to help senior pets and would like the convenience of having it delivered for you, check out our Amazon Wishlist - be sure to use Amazon Smile so a percentage of your purchase is also donated to Young at Heart! Amazon does not always alert us to the donor of the items, so please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need confirmation of delivery of in-kind donations.